Driving with Lyft in California means you get guaranteed earnings, new benefits, and the flexibility to drive when and where you want. Apply to drive with Lyft in California and start earning on your own terms.
What is Lyft?
Lyft is a platform that connects drivers with individuals and organizations that need rides.
- Be Your Own Boss: Drive when and where you want - and take breaks that work best for you
- Get Benefits: Starting Jan. 1, 2021, you can qualify for a healthcare subsidy when you average at least 15 hours of booked time per week.*
- Guaranteed Earnings: Earn at least 120% of the minimum wage, including 30 per mile based on your booked time.
- You're 25 years or older
- You have a driver's license
- You have a California license plate
- You consent to driver screening and background check
- You have an iPhone or Android smartphone
- 2001 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the drivers
- California license plate
Don’t have a car?
Rent one through our Express Drive program, with standard insurance included. Available in select cities
- California vehicle insurance
- Driver profile photo
- Proof of vehicle inspection performed by a C-BAR certified mechanic (well show you options in the Lyft app when you apply)
*Starting Jan. 1, 2021, drivers with an average of at least 15 hours per week of booked time in a calendar quarter can begin qualifying for a quarterly healthcare subsidy. Driver must submit proof of current enrollment in a qualifying health plan in the Lyft Driver app within 15 days after the end of the calendar quarter to receive the healthcare subsidy.*
**car year may vary in some regions
Lyft is a great opportunity for those looking for part-time work, hourly work, contract, commission, flexible side gigs, freelancer/freelancing, work from home night shift, and graveyard shift opportunities. No professional driver/driving experience is needed and we encourage entry-level and veteran applicants to consider driving with Lyft. Government-issued driver's license required. Organized drivers often see the most success, so put your administrative assistant/receptionist skills to use while planning your own schedule. Customer service/sales are at the heart of the driver-rider relationship. If you have previous job experience as a limo driver, taxi, bus driver, courier, or in hospitality/hotels, Lyft is an excellent opportunity to make great money working when you want. Drive in the morning, evening, night, weekends!
Lyft welcomes applicants year-round - summer, winter, fall, spring, holiday work seekers. Apply online today.
1. What do Lyft Drivers need to know before starting driving?
- You must be at least 25 years old, while the minimum age may vary according to state laws where you live.
- Have a valid driver's license for at least a year.
- Pass a background check and a DMV check for driver and vehicle.
- These checks search for things like a violent felony conviction or recent driving-related problems, such as a DUI within the last three to seven years.
- the last three to seven years.Have your vehicle's registration and license plates up to date.
- the last three to seven years.Current and valid vehicle insurance with your name.
- the last three to seven years.Completing the company's Community Safety Education course is required.
- the last three to seven years.You'll need a smartphone to handle the Lyft driver app.
2. What are the fundamental requirements for a car to drive for Lyft?
- To start driving for Lyft with your Own car. Your car has:
- A total of 5-8 seat belts, including the driver's seatbelt, are necessary.
- Must pass your state and local vehicle inspection.
- The title excludes salvage, non-repairable, and rebuilt vehicles.
- Meets the vehicle age requirements in your city and state (2001 or newer).
- It can't be a cab, extended limousine, or one of Lyft's prohibited tiny cars.
3. Is there a need for insurance for Lyft's driving career?
Lyft drivers must be covered with liability insurance. The minimum insurance requirements vary by state. For ridesharing drivers, some places have additional regulations.
This ride-sharing business also covers its drivers with insurance. This applies when you accept a ride request, but it could also apply if you're waiting. When you are not driving for the company and logged out of the Lyft Driver app, your personal insurance coverage applies.
4. When is the best time to earn some additional cash, and how can you increase your hourly rate?
When driving with Lyft, you do not need to schedule work shifts ahead of time. Driving at peak hours and the busiest seasons can help you make more money. The busiest times of the day are peak hours, when you may receive more ride requests and earn more money per hour.
- The demand for platform rides varies depending on location and time.
- The best time to drive for Lyft is during the following hours:
- Commuting time is here.
- Holidays and special occasions
- Every day, the peak hours are 7 a.m.–9 a.m. and 5 p.m.–7 p.m. and weekends(Sat.-Sun.)
- Late at night, when there are fewer drivers and more traffic.
5. Is the company willing to work with you on your driving schedule?
You don't have to check in to your rideshare app at a certain time, unlike a regular office or part-time job. You may choose when and how frequently you drive. You can take advantage of this by driving when it is most convenient for you. Keep in mind there is the greatest need for drivers in peak hours.
Drive whenever and wherever you want, and take the breaks that are most useful for you.
6. What is the Express Drive program, and how does it work?
Those who want to rent a car and drive with Lyft can apply for Express Drive service.
- Flexdrive and Hertz are two of Express Drive's current vehicle supply partners. These organizations assist in expanding the Express Drive program to new cities.
- There is no long-term commitment and the leasing time is adjustable.
- The cost of the rental car will cover car maintenance and insurance coverage. The price of a rental vehicle varies depending on the city and the service provider. When you start the application process, you'll get specific program information.
- You can't use your Hertz Express Drive rental for any other for-hire services. On the Lyft platform rental vehicles allow through Express Drive.
7. How long does it take for a background check to get finalized?
The processing and completion of your background check should take 3-10 days. Sometimes, there are a few things that could make this take longer.
This process may be longer if there are a large number of applications at the same time. Background checks may take longer if your application faces any issues.