Driving with Lyft in California means you get guaranteed earnings, new benefits, and the flexibility to drive when and where you want. Apply to drive with Lyft in California and start earning on your own terms.
What is Lyft?
Lyft is a platform that connects drivers with individuals and organizations that need rides.
- Be Your Own Boss: Drive when and where you want - and take breaks that work best for you
- Get Benefits: Starting Jan. 1, 2021, you can qualify for a healthcare subsidy when you average at least 15 hours of booked time per week.
- Guaranteed Earnings: Earn at least 120% of the minimum wage, including 30 per mile based on your booked time.
- You’re 25 years or older
- You have a driver’s license
- You have a California license plate
- You consent to driver screening and background check
- You have an iPhone or Android smartphone
- 2001 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the drivers
- California license plate
- Don’t have a car? Rent one through our Express Drive program, with standard insurance included. Available in select cities
- vehicle insurance
- Driver profile photo
- Proof of vehicle inspection performed by a C-BAR certified mechanic (well show you options in the Lyft app when you apply)
1) Who are Lyft drivers?
Lyft service does not hire their drivers, instead, all the drivers at Lyft are freelance independent contractors. They sign up for the Lyft app and create their own drivers’ accounts. Using that Lyft driver's account they pick up Lyft users from wherever they are and drop them off at their desired destinations.
2) How can Lyft drivers book rides?
When they want to accept rides, Lyft drivers need to make sure their drivers’ accounts are switched to online moods.
Once a request comes in drivers can review the details before accepting. Sometimes Lyft drivers can book a ride that is set for a few hours later. Half an hour before that ride, Lyft drivers can send passengers a reminder to confirm the ride before going and picking them up.
3) What do Lyft drivers do during a ride?
When a Lyft driver has booked a ride, they drive to the passenger’s location using the GPS feature on the Lyft app. Once they arrive at the location, they click on ‘Confirm Arrival’ to let passengers know their ride is ready.
When the passenger is in the car ready to leave, drivers click on ‘Pick Up’ on the Lyft app to officially start the ride. Using the navigations feature on the Lyft app, drivers go to the selected destination. When they reach, drivers click on ‘End Trip’ to officially complete the trip and move on to the next one.
4) How are Lyft drivers paid?
Lyft drivers do not earn a fixed hourly wage. They receive a small payment for every ride they complete. This payment varies with each ride as it is set according to the following factors:
- How long the ride is. This is set according to the state per minute rate.
- How long is the distance of the ride. This is set according to the state per-mile rate.
- Any tips Lyft drivers receive are 100% their own.
- Drivers earned bonuses, incentives, and promotional challenges.
5) How much do Lyft drivers earn?
Lyft drivers can see how much they have earned in a week or a day or after a few hours by using the earning tracker on the Lyft app. This tracker lets drivers know how many rides they have completed, how long they have been driving, how much distance they have covered, etc.
6) When do Lyft drivers receive their pay?
There are a few different ways that Lyft drivers can choose to receive their earnings. These ways let Lyft drivers receive their earnings when it is convenient for them. The options are:
- Lyft Direct Pay, lets drivers receive the payment for each ride immediately after a ride is completed.
- Express Pay lets drivers receive their payment at the end of each day. This method requires a small fee which is deducted from a drivers’ earnings.
- Lyft drivers can finally decide to have their earnings deposited into the bank account at the end of every week.
7) How do Lyft drivers increase their earnings?
There are a few ways a Lyft driver can increase their earnings. The key is to accept as many rides. The more rides accepted, the more they can earn. Some ways drivers can maximize the number of rides they accept is:
- Driving during peak hours when there is a demand for Lyft rides. These timings are usually rush hour, weekends, evenings, etc.
- Driving in the right area, in locations that are known as ‘hotspot zones’ such as tourist locations, office areas, eating joints, stadiums and concert locations, etc.
- The Lyft website has several tutorial videos that help drivers maximize the number of rides they complete.
- The Lyft app also lets drivers know when the right time is and where to go to receive the most number of ride requests.
8) How to become a Lyft driver?
To join the Lyft drivers’ team, candidates just need to:
- Log on to the Lyft website or download the Lyft app.
- Click on ‘Become a Driver’.
- Fill in the online application form with personal and contact details.
- Submit required documents like drivers’ license, vehicle registration, auto insurance, etc. If candidates want to rent a car they need to submit the right details.
- Lyft will contact candidates to set up a vehicle inspection.
- Drivers will send candidates details on how to activate their drivers’ accounts.